Monday, February 8, 2010

English With Stacy


I would highly recommend going to YouTube and watching her videos. She has a great deal of useful tricks and tips for understanding "quick" spoken English. For this assignment I would like you to go to her "bank" of videos, choose one, and then post on this board why you liked it or found it helpful. Please try and link to the video in your post so that others can go and see for themselves. Her videos are here. Have a great new year everybody!

5 comments:

  1. In these days, law is symbolizing the power of governments and authorities. However, inherently, all men have their own rights. We just trusted our rights to the authorities for the
    hamonious society. Before the law is legistlated, maybe etiquette or manner would be enough to rule society. The more complicated the society gets, the more we need
    to regulate our behaviors. That's why we human made the law.
    Sometimes there are many ridiculous laws, for exemple, in Korea, if someone commits a crime while he was drunk, he would get reduced penalty because he was unconscious.

    I thought about what was the purpose of the law. Why human created laws? All human have same rights. To keep societies in order and to live in harmony, we just trusted our
    rights to the government. Why we needed order or harmony? " WE WANTED TO BE HAPPY WITHOUT COMMITING OTHER'S HAPPINESS'

    The right of pursuing happiness is caved in our Constitution. Maybe all the sub laws are related to the happiness. In the view point of individuals, we need health law.
    What is happiness? I think it's living healty. And what does it mean to live a healthy life? Health means not just the state without illness, but having physical, mental, spiritual, social well-being(this is WHO's definition for health) Enforcing law is not always good. But when we have no chances to overcome our risks, which would break our happiness, we could hands out for helps. More specific, if I was overwieghted and need to lose some weights, but had no time for exercise, I can join fitness club for exercise for certain amount of promised period. My opinon would be seemed something ridiculous, nevertheless, definitely,the origin of law is from pursuing human's happiness. We can not live in the law of jungle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I enjoyed reading your philosophy on laws and their history, you didn't answer the question posed ;)

    If you could start any law, what would it be? Maybe a law requiring unhealthy people to visit health clubs? ㅋㅋㅋ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment. I think I need more details in my opinion. My start point of this topic was that there are two groups of law. One is forbiding something, and the other is encouraging somethig law.

    I want to make something exciting law that can stimulate people to do or think autonomously. Nevertheless, as you know, there are many different levels or conditions in human beings and communities. Someone can tall, someone can be short, someone can be strong, and someone can be week. Someone could have abilities to control themselves, but anothers could have a little low capacities.

    When I got fat, and need to lose weights, I can go fitness club without other helps. Because I can afford to pay the bill. But when someone got fat because of his jobless stress, the only solution for him could be job finding or job training. Someone can manage himself, but others can not make it.
    If there are someone who need help, we can give our deliberation to them. In the course of helping others, we can get great happiness which is not attainable being alone.Happiness will be doubled when we share, and pain will be divided when we share. That's human beings destiny unlike wide animals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No more comments, no more topic for talking...

    I expect our class not to be closed.

    I hope that we can make next class the end of begining in our English journey.

    See all classmates in 20th Feburary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our class is not closed (Feb 20). I hope that everyone is just busy and that is why they are not participating here. Anyway, thank you very much for all of your input Jin. See you on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete