Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmas: Christian Holiday or General Holiday?

A teacher here at the school asked me today what my plans were for Christmas. I said that I didn't have any because I am not Christian and she replied, "But it's Christmas...it doesn't matter if you are Christian, everyone celebrates Christmas!" What do you think? Why do you think so many people celebrate Christmas (especially in the U.S.) even though they technically aren't Christian.

Christian or not, I hope you all have a nice holiday.

4 comments:

  1. As Jeff mentioned, we all say happy holiday or Merry Christmas. It doesn’t matter whether I am Christian or not. In my childhood, I had many friends who were once-a-year churchgoers. Actually I wanted to be one of them but I was too shy boy to go to church to have some gifts- at that time bread and candy was what we can get from church.

    When we focus on religious faith, it would encourage many conflicts because there are various religions even though they believe in God, like Judaism, the Greek Orthodox.

    In these days, the religious meaning of Christmas is not influential in our common life.
    As the last month and closing season of a year, Christmas give us the opportunities to recall our life, our relations, and our neighbors.

    Christmas is celebrated not just for religious event, but for cultural event. We can see many charity events, donations, volunteers facing Christmas. Love would be doubled when we share, and pain would be divided when we share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. though i don't have any religion, my wife and kids celebrate christmas and have some quality time doing something fun (this year we saw a musical, "snow man") and sharing small presents in the middle of freezing snowy winter. and since it comes at the end of the year, christmas is giving me a wonderful chance to look back on what happened this year and reminding me to thank all the people who support me and my family the whole year by doing christmas cards. all in all, christmas means a lot to me and will do.

    Ciao,

    Sanders

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr.Sanders had a great Christmas. I envy you. Seeing a musical would be great, and sharing present with family would be gorgeous. Having chances to remind whole the people and events around us would be the best. Good job Mr.Sanders.

    Happy New year and see you next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! everyone! I hope you all have a great year!!!
    Hi Jin! you may do messenger with your families and you also had a great job for your families.
    In my cae, I am a christian and I attended the service for Jesus Christ at church.
    I and my husband failed to persuade my son to go travel out of Korea and we just had lunch at restaurant in the Walker Hill Hotel in Seoul. Though we could go some nice place near here, I would like to give some remembrance to my son, he is going to be a university student in this spring and he might be distant from us. Then there were so many people and crowded. I don't think they all are christian. Yes. many of people in Korea might enjoy the time in this Season.
    See you soon,

    ReplyDelete