Sunday, December 12, 2010

December 11

Here is the question for this week:

"What is the strangest question you were ever asked at a job interview?"

6 comments:

  1. you'd placed your watch on your desk in the office for some reason. after a short meeting you came back to find out the watch was gone. what is worse, the watch wasn't just a $100 watch but a wedding gift from my wife!! what would you do?

    I thought the employer wanted to see how i deal with the awkward situation...

    what would YOU do if you were in my shoes?

    SANDERS

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we need to find out whether the watch was stolen or just moved to other places for some reasons. At first, I want to hang lost report on the board in the office and ask to the owner of the watch to remind his memory where did he put his watch off exactly or check other places he could put on. When we can not find his watch, I would suggest my colleagues to collect money for his compensation because we can not suspect all of our colleagues for the theft. And then ask to office manager to improve security check of the office like equiping cctv.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After my graduation of college, I prepared to get a job. I applied several companies which were big conglomerates in KOREA. When I attended a job interview to Hanjin Group, which is famous for its subsidiary, Korean air, one of the interviewers asked me what did I think about Korean political situation. Because my major was political science, the question would be attainable. But in my opinion, the intention of the interviewer was to search if I had any critical attitudes. At that time Korea was under the rule of military forces even though they got off the uniforms. Compliant attitudes were the only virtue for the job seekers.

    In these days, the technique of interview is developed more elaborately. Problem-solving, making harmonies in the group discussion, professional knowledge are the key points of the job interview.
    If I would say some examples of the interview question, “Now you’re in charge of sales department in Beijing, how can you improve your sales revenue only in one year” “Would you explain your viewpoint of analyzing Korean economy and please suggest us our new business item for next generation” For these questions there are no answer. But there would be unique and diverse opinions for that question.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't have experienced directly to the strange interview question. I think the interview question Sanders experienced was asked to evaluate the interviewee how to manage and to cope to the difficult conditions.When we exposed to like this condition, we might be embarassed and be illogical. However, if smart, it may be so simple.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is this real for American high school life?

    My son is 10th grade in U.S. and in his school there will be held a homecoming dancing party in his school. To attend the party, boys need to accompany with girls. Because girls are over number than boys, many girls can not attend the party. I am not sure this is true or not. My son just said to me.

    One of my son’s classmates, I would call her just “J” because I don’t want to reveal her name, wanted to go the party. My son said he was the only boy who could to request her to go party.
    I thought it would be a good memory for his school life, and recommended him to go to the party with “J”

    The real problem started here. To request a girl to accompany with him, he needed to prepare some gift for her. My wife and son thought something meaningful and economic. My son drew a portrait of “J” and my wife prepared flower bouquet with special decoration.
    Fortunately, “J” agreed to go with my son. To this stage, for my son, great courage was needed. H e feared her rejection. And I can fully understand teenager’s feelings.

    But the next stage was beyond my imagination. To enter the party, my son said to me, he needs to wear formal suits and shoes with flower on his pocket of jacket. And because the flower on the boy’s chest should be same one of the flower for girl’s bouquet, the flowers need to be made by order base. In addition, the color of the boy’s tie should be same of the color of girl’s dress. I don’t know what these are meaning. This is not wedding, just dance party for teenagers.

    The most astonishing condition is remaining. To go to the party, boy needs to rent a limo to escort his partner.

    I regret my decision. These conditions for the dance party exceed my affordability. My wife comforting me we are giving the opportunity to experience western culture to our son and she will reduce all the cost by renting or finding substitutes. But I can not understand why administrators of the school will not open the doors widely making simple conditions to the party.

    My son is ling to me?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jin! I also had seen the same events you said. It was SOOOO big cultural shock to me grown up only in Korea. There were two aspects. One might kind of congratulation with each other. Another might be kind of ostentation to adults. Anyway, in my opinion, your son's experience will be a great in his life. Be easy...

    So.. Everybody have a great Christmas and a Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete