The article we studied on Saturday sited some research that found that women get in more accidents than men, and men are more likely to be in fatal accidents than women. Obviously, there cannot be something inherent in women to force them into more accidents, as well as something for men that makes them get into more severe accidents. What do you think are some of the factors that contribute to these statistics?
What makes the differences between man and woman? Someone in our class said female can think many aspects simultaneously, and males are tends to focusing certain crucial thing. I think it is somewhat plausible that different thinking system make the difference in car accident statistics. Physical difference could not be the trigger of the car accidents results because we all have enough strength to handle the wheels.
Small accidents could be explained with this recognition structure, even though I don’t have any idea in behavioral science.
What is the cause of fatal accidents which occur more in male drivers? What makes fatal car accidents? High speed, weather condition – snow fall or heavy rain-, paving condition and curved condition of the road, and the length of driving time could be the factors. Who mainly drive in these risky conditions? In general, male takes the risk to protect or feed or support his family. In my opinion, that’s why male are more exposed to fatal accidents than female.
Men like a challenge, they sometimes conduct in a foolhardiness. When there is a dangerous situation men think that they can take the risk. Women drive more carefully and follow the traffic safety rules but women are slow in their movement. I think women don't react to the sudden risk than men so women get more accidents than men. Men can quickly avoid the sudden risk than women but they enjoy driving on the road at high speed or they drive more dangerous than women. I think that makes fatal accidents.
To flame up our controversy, I want to add SengSu’s opinion. Man likes to take risk, and woman wants to be safe. I totally agree with him. Females are always standing behind males. They step forth when safety is confirmed, at least, the way to reduce damage is developed. Long time ago, there were no female soldiers, because of the brutal way of combat or the limit of physical strength. But now combat is operating by computer or machineries, so we can have many female soldiers. Female always want to steal male’s position. Trial and error is male’s portion. The results or consequences are for female. I imagine cooking or sewing was for the male. But after the safety was examined, female took males position. Male has to move out other risk items like hunting or farming. This world is building by male, and male is controlling by female.
I read this article in some book. Long long time ago men hunt animals and brought some plants for his family, and women investigated whether it had poison or not for family safety. That makes man active, simple and enjoy competing women be careful and more complexed than men. That happened to my family, too. Before I do something, I spend many hours to think something around it. For example I think taking time, influence to my family, and campare to others it has more value to do and so on. Sometimes I think many thing, I feel tired so much so that I give it up before doing it. But my husband is different when there is something to work, he think only that and do it without hesitation. He doesn't think something around it. He is very simple. At first I think he is selfish so he wouldn't think others but It's my misunderstand. The reason is we have different structure of brain. So it makes the above result...
Hi Jeff I have a question. I can't understand the meaning of "selling carpet" Below is part of an article in NewYork Times.
If we want good governance in Afghanistan more than Karzai, he will sell us that carpet over and over. How many U.S. officials have flown to Kabul — the latest being President Obama himself — to lecture Karzai on the need to root out corruption in his administration?
I almost agree with the above three people's opinions. I think one of many factors that contribute above statistics is related to the lived experience how long man/woman drive for ?, how often take the wheel per week? and how many times they've experienced small or big accidents? Also in almost cases, men think they have to care of women.
Let's we assume the case we have to take the wheel for a long time, 4 hours and over. Who is sitting on the drive's seat? I think man usually do. If not, it may be a single woman, there is no man can drive instead of her.
Women have a tendency to consider many things as Selly said. Even women drive well, they don't want to drive for long time for example, 8 hours and over.In that case I think women prefer to use other transfers.
Lastly women have experienced kind of some accidents has a tendency to hesitatie to drive. if it was a big accidents, many of them might take away the wheel forever.
Therefore I agree with the above statistics report.
Jin, I am not sure what that means. I would need to read the entire article to find out. Taken out of context like that, it could mean any number of things - but the meaning is unclear.
Others, thanks so much for a good discussion this week on the board. I am glad to see you all taking advantage of this blog!
Well Jin, I found the article. Afghanistan is known for its carpet making. So these two authors used that "selling carpet" as an analogy to how the president of Afghan is treating the government of the U.S. The article is stating that if the American Government wants a good government in Afghan more than Afghanis do, then Karzai will keep "selling" to Obama (or whoever) that he will provide good governance over and over again. Basically they are saying that Karzai knows we want it more than he does, and he is just playing to our wants.
What makes the differences between man and woman? Someone in our class said female can think many aspects simultaneously, and males are tends to focusing certain crucial thing. I think it is somewhat plausible that different thinking system make the difference in car accident statistics.
ReplyDeletePhysical difference could not be the trigger of the car accidents results because we all have enough strength to handle the wheels.
Small accidents could be explained with this recognition structure, even though I don’t have any idea in behavioral science.
What is the cause of fatal accidents which occur more in male drivers?
What makes fatal car accidents? High speed, weather condition – snow fall or heavy rain-, paving condition and curved condition of the road, and the length of driving time could be the factors.
Who mainly drive in these risky conditions? In general, male takes the risk to protect or feed or support his family. In my opinion, that’s why male are more exposed to fatal accidents than female.
Men like a challenge, they sometimes conduct in a foolhardiness. When there is a dangerous situation men think that they can take the risk. Women drive more carefully and follow the traffic safety rules but women are slow in their movement. I think women don't react to the sudden risk than men so women get more accidents than men. Men can quickly avoid the sudden risk than women but they enjoy driving on the road at high speed or they drive more dangerous than women. I think that makes fatal accidents.
ReplyDeleteTo flame up our controversy, I want to add SengSu’s opinion.
ReplyDeleteMan likes to take risk, and woman wants to be safe. I totally agree with him.
Females are always standing behind males. They step forth when safety is confirmed, at least, the way to reduce damage is developed.
Long time ago, there were no female soldiers, because of the brutal way of combat or the limit of physical strength. But now combat is operating by computer or machineries, so we can have many female soldiers. Female always want to steal male’s position. Trial and error is male’s portion. The results or consequences are for female.
I imagine cooking or sewing was for the male. But after the safety was examined, female took males position. Male has to move out other risk items like hunting or farming.
This world is building by male, and male is controlling by female.
I read this article in some book. Long long time ago men hunt animals and brought some plants for his family, and women investigated whether it had poison or not for family safety. That makes man active, simple and enjoy competing women be careful and more complexed than men. That happened to my family, too. Before I do something, I spend many hours to think something around it. For example I think taking time, influence to my family, and campare to others it has more value to do and so on. Sometimes I think many thing, I feel tired so much so that I give it up before doing it. But my husband is different when there is something to work, he think only that and do it without hesitation. He doesn't think something around it. He is very simple. At first I think he is selfish so he wouldn't think others but It's my misunderstand. The reason is we have different structure of brain. So it makes the above result...
ReplyDeleteHi Jeff
ReplyDeleteI have a question. I can't understand the meaning of "selling carpet" Below is part of an article in NewYork Times.
If we want good governance in Afghanistan more than Karzai, he will sell us that carpet over and over. How many U.S. officials have flown to Kabul — the latest being President Obama himself — to lecture Karzai on the need to root out corruption in his administration?
Hi Jin, thank you for your last week comment.
ReplyDeleteI almost agree with the above three people's opinions. I think one of many factors that contribute above statistics is related to the lived experience how long man/woman drive for ?, how often take the wheel per week? and how many times they've experienced small or big accidents?
Also in almost cases, men think they have to care of women.
Let's we assume the case we have to take the wheel for a long time, 4 hours and over. Who is sitting on the drive's seat? I think man usually do. If not, it may be a single woman, there is no man can drive instead of her.
Women have a tendency to consider many things as Selly said. Even women drive well, they don't want to drive for long time for example, 8 hours and over.In that case I think women prefer to use other transfers.
Lastly women have experienced kind of some accidents has a tendency to hesitatie to drive. if it was a big accidents, many of them might take away the wheel forever.
Therefore I agree with the above statistics report.
Jin, I am not sure what that means. I would need to read the entire article to find out. Taken out of context like that, it could mean any number of things - but the meaning is unclear.
ReplyDeleteOthers, thanks so much for a good discussion this week on the board. I am glad to see you all taking advantage of this blog!
Well Jin, I found the article. Afghanistan is known for its carpet making. So these two authors used that "selling carpet" as an analogy to how the president of Afghan is treating the government of the U.S. The article is stating that if the American Government wants a good government in Afghan more than Afghanis do, then Karzai will keep "selling" to Obama (or whoever) that he will provide good governance over and over again.
ReplyDeleteBasically they are saying that Karzai knows we want it more than he does, and he is just playing to our wants.
By the way Jin. That carpet making analogy used in the article, in my opinion, is quite racist.
ReplyDelete