Sunday, April 18, 2010

Homework - April 17

In our class on Saturday someone brought up the fact that racism exists in every country in the world, even if on some very small level. Why do you think this is? Is racism inherent in human beings? Or, is there something on a world societal level that nutures our racism?

2 comments:

  1. The definition of racism was not definitely defined in our last class. Someone said racism is discriminating others by color or ethnics. Racism could be private cognitions. I said my experience that someone said to me go back to my home when I was abroad. But in my opinion, it’s not racism. It’s just personal likes or dislikes.

    Racism should contain collective perceptions. Racism is group activities or societal phenomenon.
    Why we humans have created this vicious stuff? I guess someone needed to justify his discriminations to other ethnics or their opponents. Specially, racism was abused for ruling class or powered nations. To make someone’s prejudice to collective perspectives, several scientists contributed to classify human beings with the size of brain and proved their superiorities to other races. After the era of imperialism, racism seems to shrinking. We humans are trying to understand the differences of races and respect other’s unique cultures.

    Nevertheless there are so many kinds of people. Someone who wants to get benefits from discriminations, still stands on the position of racism. Unlike interest groups, the racists are isolating themselves and reveal hostilities to others. To grasp small things, they are losing great ones.

    On the other hand, I think we Koreans have racial perspectives. But it’s not to alienate other races. It was because we needed unity to struggle for our survival. As a small country between power nations, we needed to double up our strength than we had. In Korea, there maybe some foreigners who experienced discriminations, but it’s not by organized behaviors. I heard that in a certain state, people are opposing immigrants because immigrants occupy their people’s jobs. What a silly reaction it is. Their job losing is originated by the collapse of their economic systems. Without foreign exchange crisis, they can just print notes and make the other world support their deficits and debts. The best way to live peacefully and to recover from the recessions, is cooperate with others who have expertise on skills, resources, fundings and maintaining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I feel some poverty in writing my opinion to this subject. I almostly agree to Jin's description. Anyway I think racism may be roused from personal experience to public or collective perspectives. That is, I don't think racism is inherent from the birth, even more something on a world societal level that nutures our racism through long history or due to strong experiences as a race or specific nationality.
    Certainly black colored skin might be cause disregard as a human and they feel some racism toward white people.

    ReplyDelete